Thursday, February 5, 2015

Our Suburban Farm/Zoo - Part 1

I have a rabbit addiction. I admit it. Those cute fuzzy little things won my heart. Little did we know they were really the beginning of our suburban farm/zoo.

Catwoman walked in to the pet store one day and saw these fuzzy little Lionhead bunnies and fell in love. She gets this from me; sees a cute little baby critter and has to have it. She even takes it a step further and wants to be a vet one day. She isn't a huge fan of people but makes up for it with her love of animals. So she sees these bunnies and has to have one. She begs me for weeks. Said she will pay for it with her own money, etc.... etc... Finally after some talk with Batman we give in.

She saved her money all summer and bought her first bunny and Figaro comes home with us. I built him an awesome cage using these directions. I rarely do anything half way and always think if I do it myself I will save money (usually not the case). He lived in the sunroom that was off our apartment. Over time I too fell in love with him so we bought another one, Butterscotch. We made this cage into two cages. We started looking in to breeding them so we decided to start getting pedigree lionheads. We went to our first bunny show and brought home Black Knight. Yet another bunny in our sunroom. Unfortunately Black Knight got sick and passed away. This is always hard but one of the lessons I think it is important for Catwoman to learn if she is going to be a vet. Sometimes they get sick and some of them don't make it.

By this point we knew that we would be moving. It was only a matter of when. When we started looking for houses we made sure they allowed bunnies and having a shed with plenty of land was a plus. We were looking to rent at first. I passed up on a couple great houses because we couldn't have bunnies. Then one day after many places had fallen through we found a nice house with a little under an acre of land that was rent with option to buy. It was perfect for us and while I hadn't been thinking about buying I started to dream. There was a place to put a shed. I could add a fence. My mind started spinning at this point. I could have a small farm with chickens and our bunnies. We moved in shortly after.

Bunnies temporarily moved to the basement of our new house. We then brought home two more that were full bred pedigree lionheads, a male, Nerd and a female, Prim. About a month later we had our first litter of bunnies. One morning I went down to check on the rabbits and Figaro had pulled out half his hair. What the hell? Then the big ball of fur started moving. I peeked in and there were four little baby rabbits. Ahhh! Figaro wasn't a boy, she was a girl. Rabbits pull their hair to create a warm nest for their kits. She was renamed Figgy and continues to be our best momma bunny.


Shortly after we had a bad storm and the basement flooded. If it had gotten much higher we would have lost Butterscotch who was on the bottom part of the cage. After that the bunnies move to the laundry room. NOT IDEAL! Prim then had her first litter of kits. I started working hard on getting our shed ordered once the house started to smell like 11 bunnies.

 Finally our shed came! Thus Geeky Bunny Rabbitry was born as well the beginning of our farm.








No comments:

Post a Comment